- About ACCE
- Contact Us
On an e_Journey with Generation Y Anne Mirtchin
Immersing technology in the classroom and beyond into the globe!
Updated: 6 hours 43 min ago
The Theme: An Easter Hat Parade
The Models: Grade 5 students from near Boneo, Rosebud, Victoria.These students shared their wonderful Easter Hat creations in a virtual parade.
The audience: Year 7 students from Hawkesdale P12 College, a visiting teacher who is interested in seeing how the virtual classroom works
The tool used: Blackboard Collaborate (BbC)- virtual classroom software provided by our Department of Education for use by Victorian teachers
The outcome – an engaging and fascinating linkup between students of different age groups all learning from each other using the video conference through BbC.
Other Activities: Further activities included all students drawing decorated Easter eggs on the whiteboard, sharing what they were doing over the autumn holidays (this started to show the difference in nature of our geographical locations) and then a discussion with our visiting teacher, who teaches Japanese, as to any pre-existing knowledge about Japan.
What Worked Well
- taking the plunge with a teacher who is a close colleague (Sally and I are both web conference coaches) and as such we have complete faith and confidence in each other.
- an engaging activity – the Easter Hats. All students like to see parades!
- the nature of the activity – it was a theme on Easter, a popular celebration and displayed lots of creativity. Our school does not do the Easter Hat parades but maybe this will inspire us to do so next year.
- the chat – students could interact with each other in the chat, ask questions and give feedback on some of the wonderful creations.
- testing that audio and video works immediately. When classes are involved, it takes time to ensure everyone can logon.
- Switching off the audio when a class is watching. The loudest noise activates the web camera and projects that classroom.
- Learning new communication techniques including clear, deliberate, diction, appropriate use of the web camera.
- Having a visiting teacher in our room
Have you been involved in virtual parades with other schools? How did it go? Would you recommend these types of activities to others?